Enroll in the 5th Tufts Summer Institute on Digital Strategies for Health Communication to learn how healthcare and public health organizations develop and implement digital strategies to drive the success of their online presence.
Learn from Tufts faculty and distinguished guest speakers how to:
- Use the web, social media, and mobile devices to communicate with and connect to patients.
- Develop a coherent and justifiable digital strategy for health communication.
- Select, use, manage, and evaluate the effectiveness of technologies.
- Define your mobile presence with apps and mobile-enabled sites.
- Employ research-based methodologies such as persona development and formative evaluation.
- Use best practices from leading health organizations including Consumer Reports, Harvard Health Publications, ABC Health News, and CDC.
Case study for 2013: Massachusetts Medical Society.
Enroll in the Summer Institute online. Tuition costs $2,260 non-credit, $1,810 early discount before June 5, 2013. Current Tufts graduate students may enroll in the course through the Registrar’s Student Information System (SIS). Lunch and morning and afternoon snacks are included.
Accommodations: For hotel information, visit the Tufts Travel Website, www.campustravel.com/university/Tufts/visit_Boston.html for a listing of hotels and rates. Be sure to mention you are a Tufts University visitor when making a reservation. In addition, reservations can be made for Tufts University Medford Campus (about 20 minutes from the Health Sciences Campus) through the Tufts University Conference Bureau website http://ase.tufts.edu/conferences .
Class size is limited to 20. About 1/3 of the class will be graduate students from Tufts University School of Medicine and Emerson College who will do pre-work and a final paper for course credit. The rest are healthcare professionals. Past summer institute students came from organizations including Lahey Clinic, Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), Fenway Health Center, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Medtronic Diabetes Western Europe, and the CDC.
Contact the course director, Lisa Gualtieri, with any questions about the course. For registration questions, contact the Tufts Public Health and Professional Degree Programs Registrar, Janice Gilkes, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 636-0935.
From a 2012 student:
Taking the Digital Strategies course greatly expanded my knowledge and proficiency for using technology and social media in clinical research. From a dissemination standpoint, it is essential to incorporate the effective use of technology to develop a communication strategy, maintain a web and mobile presence, and successfully communicate with the patients and the research community. Thanks to the tools I learned in Digital Strategies, I am now able to effectively use technology to accomplish these goals.
- Laurel K Leslie, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, Tufts Medical Center Floating Hospital for Children
Picture of the 2012 students: